When it comes to home repairs, everyone tries to save where they can. Home repairs can be time consuming, frustrating, and expensive, so we eliminate the burden whenever possible. Most of us have a brother that can do some repairs, or a cousin who does another. Or, you know a handyman who claims to fix or repair “everything”. Let’s look at a few reasons why you should hire a licensed electrician vs. doing the task yourself, hiring a handyman or having your relative do it when they finally get around to it.
- Licensed and Insured: A qualified electrical contractor carries a contractor’s license with the state. This means they are registered and shown proof of insurance to the state. We are ready to do business legally.
- Electrician’s License: On top of business and contractor’s licensing requirements, did you know every electrician in the state of Wisconsin is required to hold an electrician’s license? These licenses carry with them thousands of hours of experience and professional training. This equips them to perform their tasks the right way. These card-holders are who you want troubleshooting your electrical system as their experience identifies problems other’s won’t see.
- National electrical codes change every 3 years. Electricians are required to stay current with those codes. In fact, they are required by the state to undergo hours of professional training every 4 years, no matter their experience level. This helps to keep their knowledge base current and applicable as circumstances change.
- Doing it yourself? Sure, there are some tasks that are easy enough to tackle, however please don’t rely on “YouTube training” when it comes to an electrical task that you don’t know how to accomplish.
What you get when you hire a “handy-man”:
They may be able to beat the prices of a licensed, insured electrician, but at what cost? Most handy-men have dabbled in basic electrical systems. They may know how to perform some basic tasks they have taught themselves, seen on YouTube, or have been taught by other jacks of all trades. If you do decide to hire a handy man to perform electrical tasks, make sure he carries a Master Electricians license, and has the credentials and insurance to back it up.
- If something goes wrong, they won’t know how to fix it. Sometimes they get lucky, sometimes they hide a mistake and you find it a year later. Then need to call an electrician and pay twice for the project that could have been right the first time.
- If something goes wrong, you won’t be covered in the case of an accident or worse yet, a fire!
- Shock hazards: do you want to trust an unlicensed, unqualified worker to complete a task that could put the safety of you or your family at risk?
- An un-licensed contractor will not be able to pull an electrical permit – Don’t pull it for him as a homeowner -it’s illegal and may make YOU responsible for all work performed.
6 Reasons to not wait on your family friend, relative, or spouse:
- You’re tired of hinting
- Let’s be honest, if the task has been put off this long – it’s never getting done.
- Might not really know as much as they say they do.
- You’re worried he might hurt himself and his life insurance is about to expire
- Your idea of “that looks good” and theirs may differ significantly
- He could be fishing
The Quantum difference:
At Quantum Electrical Solutions, we stand by our work. We warranty it. Everything is installed correctly and up to code. We stand by the products we carry and know you will be satisfied with the end results. Thousands in the Fox Valley Area have trusted us to be their Electricians and here’s why: At the end of the day, we sleep well at night knowing we’ve treated our customers right.